August 23, 2007

AKA, or Alcoholics in Kuwait (Not So) Anonymous

Kuwait is a country that is supposedly completely dry. We all knew that. Aside from the quota of alcohol permitted to all diplomats. Aside from the black market (fuelled in part by the quota permitted to diplomats) where I’m told a standard bottle of whisky goes for £160. Aside from school children drinking a type of widely available cologne called Jacksons mixed with anything else for their kicks. Aside from all the “underground bars” or even “nightclubs” you can find in rented villas/flats. Oh, and aside from the fact that in the biggest supermarkets, a few months before Christmas you can see shelves and shelves not so subtly stacked full of different varieties of grape juice - read: Homemade Wine, Château Desperate Times, with a bouquet slightly better than vinegar (but only slightly) aged in whatever type of plastic container/petrol can you have at hand.
Oh yes, and aside from the constant supply from the airport staff. I am reminded how once when I tried to smuggle a bottle of wine in, when it was found (bad luck) they tutted and they tisked and they grandiously declared they would have to throw it away. At this point they carefully placed the bottle in a beautifully clean “bin”. So imagine my amusement on seeing everyday in the biggest local English language newspaper:
Alcoholics Anonymous: AA can help with drinking problems. You are no longer alone.
More shockingly though, there are now several versions of Narcotics Anonymous advertised in the paper.
Now, if I was the Kuwaiti government, I would forget about focusing all my energy on the alcohol prohibition, and focus on dealing with narcotics abuse. Reliable sources tell me the coast guard alone captures on average 2 tonnes of drugs – PER DAY. That is only the coast guard, and only what they manage to catch. It is a highly dangerous phenomenon on an astronomical rise in particular among Kuwaiti youth. And considering about 75% of the Kuwaiti population is under 25, I would hurry. Just a thought.


PS. I am no longer in Kuwait. I am back in London. It is raining. A lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home