August 07, 2005

Motivation, motivation...wherefore art thou oh motivation?

11 hours, 18 minutes after waking, i have spent precisely 10 minutes working on my dissertation. Today has officially been the worst procrastrination day in my LIFE. Why the imagination gremlins in my head hear you ask? Allow me to demonstrate:

8.30 am - Wake up with big plan to work all day on dissertation.
9.30am - Still in bed. Reading book totally unrelated to dissertation subject.
10.47am - Drag myself out of bed. Motivation of 8.30 am seems to have decreased by 50%.
10.55am - Breakfast. Due to feelings of guilt, prepare enough breakfast to feed a Roman legion.
11am - Consume breakfast of legionic proportions while watching World Athletics Championships. Calorie count - 5 billion.
11.30ish - Shower.
11.45am - Make mega pot of coffee. Consume over half.
11.55am - Download article related to dissertation. Read article. Write 10 words of something mildly resembling analytical critique.
12.05pm - Decide that i cannot risk computer crash. Must install USB memory stick to back up dissertation. (Looking back on it, i blame the coffee. Who in their right mind would become so paranoid about losing 10 words of their dissertation - which in its 10 word entirety, i forgot to mention, includes the title !?)
12.15pm - USB successfully installed. Decide "study break" needed. Watch more World Athletics Champions.
2pm - Watch Commonwealth swimming qualifiers.
2.30pm - Download more articles for dissertation. Brief chat with SAG. over whether people in London would be decent enough to return accidentally left behind things like cameras. (Luckily it has since turned out that there are still decent people in London. The camera is saved - hurray!) Chat with SS over possibility that Robin Cook was bumped off Ukraine-style by that fearless leader Mr. Blair.
3pm - Motivation level = -1000%. Decide that maybe a walk on Portobello will help concentration.
3.30pm - Return home armed with Sunday newspapers. It is a sign of desperation to procrastrinate - catch myself reading sports pages with something approaching interest!
Have lunch. Calorie count - not too bad.
5pm - Motivation level - slightly better. Decide to attempt to write.
5.15pm - Switch to vogue.co.uk.
7pm - Snack time. More coffee. More coffee. Make new pot.
7.30pm - Motivation level = -1,000,000%!

I ask you - what is the POINT!? I will now go and attempt to write at least 1,000 words of my dissertation. Will it work? Do fish have feathers?

5 Comments:

Blogger mybestpants said...

Smelly! I found you here. You have now entered the dark side, I wish I was there to keep you company. I could teach you ways of procrastination you could NEVER imagine!

Sending you love and motivation bundles!

4:14 am  
Blogger The Bedouin Project said...

Aah, yes, I fondly remember the day I bathed the dog, washed the car, cleaned out the garage, got a haircut, reformatted my hard drive, reorganized my CDs and took up jogging (for that day only I should add) in order to avoid studying for an exam.

Welcome to the blogworld mon amie, I look forward to frequenting your little corner of the web.

9:37 pm  
Blogger Balcancan said...

D-dood! We are totally procrastrination queens! Come back to London soon and distract me please! :)

J-dood! I have to admit that you were the final inspiration for finally starting this blog! How does it feel being a role model?

At least you did more interesting things than me! But then again, i did watch the men's 400metre butterfly...hmmmmm.

xo

9:28 pm  
Blogger The Bedouin Project said...

Your inspiration eh? Well, I must say, I'm flattered! You like me, you really like me! OMG, okay, I'd like to thank my parents for conceiving me, my ego for making me so self-important that I felt the need to create a blog to share my thoughts with everyone else, and...and...too many people to mention...they're playing the music now, they want me to get off the stage...Thank you!....thank you!

2:44 pm  
Blogger Balcancan said...

Bravo, bravo! Encore encore!
Pink, girly AND a Sally Field wannabe. NOW im concerned...

7:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home